Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Mongolia's New Trolley Buses/

At last, a half decent photograph of the first Mongolian built Trolley Bus. I say first because there are now two.

The latest new trolley bus, 4-002, is shorter than 4-001 the wheel base being the same, I think, but the overhang at the rear TBus being shorter. I will eventually get more technical details, promise. Other big differences are the pantograph cables are controlled from rear of the TBus by tensioners AND this one, 4-002, can run ‘off wire’. 4-002 took me by surprise the other day by overtaking me whilst the cable power was off. Around 6 older TBuses were parked up, stranded by the road side at the time. Not sure whether 4-001 can do that trick!!!

The touch I love is the ‘Made in Mongolia’ proudly displayed, in English, across the front of 4-002. Little 4-002 doesn’t look as ‘posh’ as bigger brother 4-001 but seems to incorporate more up-to-date technology. It IS a major achievement for these TBuses to be built in Mongolia never mind use new technology. Not many countries build vehicles and to do so with a population base of 2.4 million makes this achievement even more special. Respect.